Friday 7 September 2012

Sports can be a moulder of character. (By Breanne)

Sports can be a molder of character if one lets it do its work. One of the most important qualities that can be derived from sports is teamwork. I learned the lesson of teamwork a few years ago, as we played soccer almost everyday. The team captains chose their own team members, another player, Faith, and I were not the best teammates; of course, they always put us on the same team! One reason we never we never worked well on the same team, was because we both liked to be in the front getting goals, not guarding our own goal. But the main reason was because we were both hot-headed. Strife began to slip into our team, every time we played together we lost worse than the time before. I realized that I was not having good sportsmanship, and I am sure Faith realized it too. Though we never spoke about having good sportsmanship, we both began to try working together. Teamwork is not something learned overnight, and it was quite a few games before we both got in the "groove" and began to win again. Faith and I now work well together, but better still, I learned an important lesson; whoever you play with, treat them with respect, and adjust your abilities to match those of your teammate. Learning the simple lessons that sports offer, will improve your character.

No comments:

Post a Comment